Tuesday, February 4, 2020

We've Got A Runner!!!!!

As parents we have experienced a lot of unpredictable things courtesy of our children.
Tantrums and outbursts in public places are one of them. I'll save tantrums and outbursts for another time I have plenty of those stories. 😃

Today, I am going to talk about that one child who is always running. I will affectionately call that child the "runner" I too have a "runner" In the toddler years whenever my son was in public he would run. His favorite place to test out the track was in a crowded store. Talk about the most awkward timing, he would do this while hysterically laughing. My son thought it was so funny that he was making me chase him around the store, I would yell STOP! but it would fall on deaf ears, I felt so embarrassed.
This was frustrating but one day his running SCARED the entire family.


We were enjoying a beautiful day in the park, my son was playing in the park going up and down the slide. My husband, my sister and I were sitting down watching my son play. Suddenly we noticed that he was not coming down the slide. We rushed over to see where he was, to our dismay we could not find him. We looked everywhere in that play ground and he was no where to be found. We started screaming his name and running all over the park. We ran to the open field and there we saw a little dot and all we could make out was the white numbers on the back of his football jersey. There he was on the opposite side of the park headed towards an exit. We ran as fast as we could and finally my husband caught him, my heart was in full panic mode the entire time. My husband had him by the hand, and as I approached him I noticed he was laughing loudly. This was no laughing matter!

It was time for a serious talk!
My husband and I talked to our son about safety and the appropriate time to run.
I wish I could say that was it, but no such luck. He kept on running while shopping in stores this behavior did not stop until we decided to set boundaries. Whenever he started to run while shopping we would remove him from the store and sit in the car. While in the car we let him know that if he continue to run, he will not go back in the store. Well, this too took a while, after a couple of occasions removing him from the store and sitting in the car he eventually got the message.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All too familiar, Nate use to do the same thing. I figured a way to get him to stop was to use the shopping cart as a ride for him. It limited my space in the cart but it allowed a stress free shopping trip. As for the park, thats still a limited trip, he's just too fast for me when he takes off running. I'm always yelling like a crazy person for him to stop and turn around. Boys!

Cassandra Rodgers said...

That is so awesome! Great solution!