Monday, February 8, 2021

At What Age Should Children Start Doing Chores?

 I know that every parent will have a different answer and that's alright. 

We all have different parenting styles and so there is no cookie cutter way of doing things. 

Here is what I did with my children:

At three years old is when I taught my children to clean up their toys. Maybe this wasn't actual chores, but this was the beginning of them learning that importance of cleaning up after themselves. They weren't consistent in doing this, neither did I enforce the routine of them picking up after themselves. Maybe, I should have enforced it more, but I admit I drop the ball on that. My children also shared a bedroom for little over 10 years. you know the hardships with that, no one wants to own up to making the mess. Also, I found it less of a hassle to do things myself, even if I was putting too much on my own plate. 

After the first 11 years, It was time for them to help out by doing some chores. By this time they also had their own bedrooms and so it was time to clean their rooms and make their own bed. They were 11 and 12 years old, when they really started to do chores. They even help us paint the house and put the dishes in the dish washer. 

My children are now, 15 and 17 years old, their they have even more chores now. During the school week, they help with feed the dog dinner and my son is responsible for taking out the trash and the recycling. On the weekends, My daughter does the dishes, vacuum the rugs and brush the dog. My son  takes out the trash, picks up the dog poop in the yard and bathe the dog. My son also helps his dad with raking leaves and shoveling snow. We all pitch in with the yard work.

I might have started late with giving my children chores but I think they are getting the hang of it. They may not do things perfectly, but the they are learning to do things in their own way. On top of this, they also know how to use the stove and make themselves something to eat. Every little bit counts, they are learning and growing. 

No comments: