Monday, August 2, 2021

Yay Or Nay To Parent Support Groups?

 I have been in a parent support group for teenagers and also a mom support group. I am finding it helpful, because the road of parenthood can sometimes feel lonely. A support group helps me to know that I am not alone. There is always someone that can relate to what I am going through. It's funny how we all think that we are alone when we are facing difficulties, then suddenly we realize that there are others going through the same thing. I have also have the pleasure of attending mental health support groups and the common thread is that, there is always someone who is going through the same things. There is comfort in knowing that I am not alone, and when I see others overcome their obstacles it gives me hope. We can be inspired by each others journey and exchange ideas, these are the reasons that I like support groups.  

However, I tread lightly in these groups. I want to also make sure that I am not giving away too much information, and I am being respectful of my children. Although, these groups are private, in the virtual world it's hard to be totally open. There are thousands of people in these group that I don't know and so I am cautious. Meeting in person is more private and personal, but in the world of Covid-19 I will have to wait for in person meetings to resume. Overall, support groups have been very inspiring and helpful to me. What do you think about parent support groups? 



No comments: